Cauliflower Pizza Crust.



The first thing you need to do is "rice" cauliflower. Apparently, this is a low-carb revolution, where when chopped and cooked the right way, cauliflower acts and tastes like rice. I thought it was total crap until I used it and now I think I may need a cauliflower patch in my yard.

To rice the cauliflower, take a fresh head, chop into small chunks and pulse through a food processor until it literally looks like grain. Do not over-do it or you will puree it. You can also grate the whole head with a cheese grater if you don't have a food processor. It should look like this.

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_2653.JPG

Then you need to cook it. All you have to do is stick it in the microwave for 8 minutes for a whole large head. No added water. The moisture in the cauliflower will cook itself. Microwaving or roasting is actually the best way to cook all vegetables as boiling/steaming extracts a lot of the vitamins and minerals in the water. So unless you plan on drinking the "broth" you made your veggies in, microwave them. Trust me.

Once it is cooked, use this recipe ratio to make the "dough" based on how much you want to make.

2 cup riced cauliflower
1 .5-2 cup shredded mozzarella
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp Italian herbs (you can use oregano/basil)
-(and I sprinkles some garlic salt on top because I love me some garlic)
-(you can also brush some melted butter on top to give it a more browned crispiness)

-I used my hands to mush this all together.

IMG_2655.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

-Then formed it onto a tin-foil covered cookie sheet I had sprayed with Pam.

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2658.JPG

-I cooked on 400 for 10 minutes, then lowered to 350 and cooked for an additional 20 minutes. Based on your oven, I say just keep an eye on it until it's done. Yeah, that's real precise huh?

-But, look how nice! And you guys, it was SO good. Like really really good!

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

I mean, it even looked like bread.

IMG_2665.JPG

I now that not eating a piece of candy here or having a drink there is not an lifetime option. But I also know that I will never go back to low-fat and "diet" foods. It's just not what we - as humans - were meant to eat. Especially when I can make it so damn delicious

Comments